Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Lieberman keeps Chairmanship of Homeland Security, reprimanded



I guess Joe Lieberman gets to play Democrat again? I guess we should give him a chance.

From the NYT:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Joe Lieberman will keep his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee despite hard feelings over his support for GOP nominee John McCain during the presidential campaign.

The Connecticut independent will lose a minor panel post as punishment for criticizing Obama this fall.

Lieberman's colleagues in the Democratic caucus voted 42-13 Tuesday on a resolution condemning statements made by Lieberman during the campaign but allowing him to keep the Homeland Security Committee gavel. He loses an Environment and Public Works panel subcommittee chairmanship, however.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he was very angry by Lieberman's actions but that "we're looking forward, we're not looking back."

Added Reid: "Is this a time when we walk out of here and say, 'Boy, did we get even?"' said Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Lieberman's grasp on his chairmanship has gotten stronger since President-elect Barack Obama signaled to Democratic leaders that he's not interested in punishing Lieberman for boosting McCain and criticizing Obama during the long campaign.


I have to finish a paper...write more soon!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm kind of conflicted about this. He did an annoying thing, but vindictiveness isn't a quality I want the Democratic party to be known for and that's how it would play out. I think many Americans, including those who voted for President-elect Obama, find what Lieberman did even a tad heroic - a man with conviction. Now, I'm not so sure I agree. Personally, I think you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.

Jill Rodde said...

I'm with you, Michelle. I'm kind of troubled by the fact that Lieberman outright betrayed the party by supporting McCain, and I think did it out of petty vengeance for 06. But still, I want our party to be known as one that accepts a wide range of viewpoints, that accommodates nuance and challenge and questions.

Pablo Kenney said...

I understand convictions, I understand varying views, but I don't understand supporting a candidate with whom you disagree on almost every issue except national security; and certainly don't understand stoking fears about your own party's candidate. Also, he looks like Senator Palpatine.