Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Kids in Pajamas

Here's a video of Sarah Palin. You know how we like those.



She bemoans the unfairness of the influence of The Bloggers, some kids "sitting in their parents' basement wearing their pajamas". Now, let it be known that pajamas do not actually diminish one's ability to analyze things critically and insightfully. Let it also be known that when I watched this video, I was commenting on a blog in my pajamas, not in my parents' basement, but in a room my parents paid for.

But that's just an aside. The real point I want to make is that this comment from Sarah Palin evidences over again her contempt (and that of Republicans generally) for citizen-driven, grassroots organizing. "Community organizers" and "bloggers" are just weirdos who think they're something big, even in their pajamas. Unless, of course, they're anti-choice activists organizing their church group to picket an abortion clinic, or Matt Drudge. Then it's cool.

Poor Sarah Palin. The Media said some things that aren't strictly true, and some things that were inconveniently true. But Sarah, that's not something that happened to you alone, and it's not a problem with "bloggers". When blogs were obsessed for a week with the idea that Palin's son, Trig, was actually born to her daughter Bristol, it was prurient, and stupid. Just like when the blogs were obsessed with Barack Obama's birth certificate. Prurient and stupid.

But for the 85% of the time, when bloggers (even us!) are bringing buried news stories to the forefront, and offering their expertise to the community to digest and hone, that's not a bad thing at all. Truth hurts sometimes, Sarah Palin.

(On that note, I'll second Pablo's apology over a lack of posts. Further in our defense, we're also both writing our senior thesis (comps) projects. Uf da.)

5 comments:

Gadfly said...

Uhh, we HAVE a birth certificate for Obama.

Show me Trig’s birth certificate.

Gadfly said...

That post above is a hyperlink, I should note.

Jill Rodde said...

Well, fine, but I don't think it's really any of my business, nor do I especially care whether Trig is Sarah Palin's son or grandson. Her policies are bad, her view of America is something I hope it never becomes, and I think she's a slap in the face to all American women. But I don't need to be petty. Worst case scenario, she was trying to protect her daughter and her image. I just don't give a shit at all. We have way, way, way more important issues to talk about.

Jill Rodde said...

And more to the point, bloggers are out there doing that job of intelligent analysis that gets lost as cable news spends its time outlining what kind of dog the Obamas get and what specific articles of clothing Sarah Palin has to give back to the RNC.

Michelle said...

I think I posted on our blog about her clothes, hehe. Sorry Jill!