He has chosen 44 year old Alaska GovernorSarah Palin as his Vice-President.
This means several things:
1. John McCain has undercut the "experience" critique of Barack Obama. Sarah Palin has the following experience: four years on the Wasilla City Council (pop < 1,000), a year on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, a year and a half as Governor of Alaska. If McCain is elected, this woman would be a heart beat away from the presidency.
2. This election becomes more historic. First Black President or First Female Vice President.
3. McCain continues his play for disgruntled (lost/crazy) Clinton Democrats. For previous signs of this see here, here.
4. McCain's age may become a bigger issue, first his mortality seems more dangerous (see point 1), second how can John McCain NOT look old next to a 44 year old former Beauty Queen.
5. John McCain is trying to get away from Bush. Far away. Picking an unknown governor from Alaska far.
6. There are HUNDREDS of interns and young staffers around the country researching Sarah Palin.
7. John McCain's staff reads this blog?
maybe someone more interesting like Alaska's governor Sarah Palin.
8. Minnesota is stuck with Gov. T-Paw until 2010.