Thursday, August 21, 2008

ARUGULA, GODDAMNIT!

Wonkette, as always, is stellar and clairvoyant.

John McCain said today that he wasn't really sure how many houses he has, please ask his staff. Said staff came up with the answer "at least four". (I wish answers like that worked for the GRE.)

Barack Obama pointed out that not knowing how many houses you have might signal a bit of a problem--namely, that McCain may struggle to relate to the millions of Americans who are trying to make ends meet in their one house. I don't know, that sounds logical.

Not to McCain spokesperson Brian Rogers:
Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses? Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people ‘cling’ to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who’s in touch with regular Americans?
Again with the arugula!

I've been thinking about this really hard, mostly because I have an hour-long commute each way and I can finish Sudoku puzzles in like ten minutes now, and I've come to the conclusion that maybe the McCain camp just doesn't know what arugula is, and hopes someone will tell them so they can eat some and stop forgetting how many houses John McCain has.

I'm in college, and I kind of live off of my parents, and even though I spend kind of a lot of time worrying that my $40,000 a year education will make me negative money in the future, "the economy" isn't a particularly pressing issue for me. Gas prices and food prices suck, but I don't really have any expenses other than gas and food.

And still when I read this, it pisses me off. Not just because I really like Obama and think he's right and think John McCain is kind of a creepy old guy who's mildly senile and seriously wrong.

But morever, it pisses me off because there are people out there with serious problems who are probably thinking, What the heck do I care about arugula?, and desperately waiting for something to change.

So can it with the frickin' arugula.

No comments: